Bruno Monguzzi was born in Mendrisio, Switzerland in 1941. He later moved to Geneva with his family and attended the Graphic Design Course at the Ecole des Arts Decoratifs.
In 1960 he travelled to London and attended studied graphic design in Geneva focusing on typography, photography and gestalt psychology. After he began his career at Studio Boggeri, Milan he moved to Montreal in 1965 to design nine pavilions for Expo 67. Back in Milan, he reconnected with Antonio Boggeri and collaborated on an independent basis till the closing of the studio in the early 1980s. In the early 1970s, with Anna, Boggeri’s daughter, he settled in the secluded town of Meride and began his long teaching career, first in Lugano and later around the world. In Milan he began his association with Roberto Sambonet on exhibition design projects.
In 1981 Bruno was the curator and designer of the Studio Boggeri retrospective at the Milan Triennale. In 1983, in association with Visuel Design Jean Widmer, he won the competition for the signage system and identity for the Musée d’Orsay, Paris.
In 1986-91 he was art consultant for Abitare magazine. In 1987-2004 he was the sole designer for Museo Cantonale d’Arte, Lugano. Major exhibitions: Villeurbanne, 1992; Zürich, 1993; Baltimore, 1999; Tokyo, 2000; Winterthur, 2001; London, 2003; Chaumont, 2006. Awards: Premio Bodoni, 1971; Gold Medal, NY ADC, 1990; Yusaku Kamekura Award and Gold Medal, Toyama Poster Triennial, 2000. Became a Royal Designer for Industry in 2003.