The publication, Print, A Quarterly Journal of the Graphic Arts, was a limited edition quarterly periodical begun in 1940 and continued under different names up to the present day as Print, a bimonthly American magazine about visual culture and design.
In its current format, Print documents and critiques commercial, social, and environmental design from every angle: the good (how New York’s public-school libraries are being reinvented through bold graphics), the bad (how Tylenol flubbed its disastrous ad campaign for suspicious hipsters), and the ugly (how Russia relies on Soviet symbolism to promote sausage and real estate).
Print is a general-interest magazine, written by cultural reporters and critics who look at design in its social, political, and historical contexts. From newspapers and book covers to Web-based motion graphics, from corporate branding to indie-rock posters, from exhibitions to cars to monuments, Print shows its audience of designers, art directors, illustrators, photographers, educators, students, and enthusiasts of popular culture why our world looks the way it looks, and why the way it looks matters. Print underwent a complete redesign in 2005.
Nature of the Journal Initially
William Edwin Rudge was the publication’s original publisher and managing editor. He was the third generation of a family of printers (all named William Edwin Rudge), and he worked out of his publishing business office in New Haven, Connecticut. From the first issue in 1940 through Volume VI, Number 4, the publication was called Print: A Quarterly Journal Of The Graphic Arts. Beginning with the following edition, Volume VII, Number 1, it changed its name to Print after combining its previous title with another magazine called The Print Collector’s Quarterly. Rudge continued as the publisher and managing editor, but the publishing office had moved to Burlington, Vermont, with the editorial offices in Hartsdale, New York. By the spring of 1953, Rudge was the president/editor, and the publishing and editorial offices had moved to 17 West 44th Street in Manhattan.
It was originally a limited-edition periodical that discussed the endless techniques used in the graphic arts industry, and even included original prints and tipped-in features within. From its first edition up to Volume VII, Number 6, in March 1953, it was a 7 1/4-by-10-inch journal-sized publication. By Volume 8 (1953) the focus of the periodical had shifted to a trade journal.