Container Corporation of America (CCA)

Container Corporation of America (CCA) was founded in 1926 and manufactures corrugated boxes. In 1968 CCA merged with Montgomery Ward & Company, Inc., in a move that was largely intended to thwart takeover bids against either company. MARCOR maintained separate management for the operations of each company, but had a joint board of directors. In 1986, Mobil Corporation, which had bought MARCOR in the early 1970s, sold the CCA company to the Jefferson Smurfit Corporation, which merged with the Stone Container Corporation in 1998 to become part of the Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation. CCA is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation.

Under the leadership of Walter Paepcke, CCA was a patron of graphic arts and design. The company amassed an outstanding collection of art works which eventually found their way to the National Museum of American art. That collection is described in the book Art, Design, and the Modern Corporation.

Container Corporation of America (CCA)

Container Corporation of America (CCA)

Container Corporation of America (CCA)

In the late 1940s, CCA commissioned Herbert Bayer to create a World Geo-Graphic Atlas which was distributed free to more than 150 colleges and universities. A reviewer in the Geographical Review said that in his opinion the atlas is the "handsomest and best atlas ever published in America."

Container Corporation of America (CCA)

Container Corporation of America (CCA)

The Container Corporation of America headquarters are located at 8182 Maryland Ave., St. Louis, Missouri 63105, United States.

2017 History of Graphic Design

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.